Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Greenwich
Ivey Barnum & O'Mara, LLC Represents Victims in White Plains, Greenwich,
and Westchester County
Pedestrian knockdown accidents result in numerous deaths and
serious injuries per year. Our attorneys have the experience you need to settle a lawsuit
due to injuries sustained from being hit by a car as a pedestrian.
Ivey Barnum & O'Mara, LLC have successfully recovered compensation
in the following pedestrian claims:
$3.25M Pedestrian struck by school bus while walking on unmarked crosswalk, suffering
broken pelvis and traumatic brain injury.
$3M Pedestrian struck by commercial vehicle while crossing street mid-block,
resulting in spinal cord injury.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics in New York
Data indicates that hundreds of people die and thousands are hospitalized,
each year as a result of a pedestrian accident. According to the
New York Department of Motor Vehicles, in 2014 alone, there were hundreds of injuries and accidents involving
- Approximately 250 pedestrians died as a result of an accident with a motor vehicle.
- Almost 15,000 pedestrians suffered injuries as a result of a car accident.
- Most pedestrian knockdown accidents are the result of speeding, running
traffic signals, or failing to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- With the uptick in cell phone and other electronic device usage, pedestrians
are becoming an ever greater target for distracted drivers.
- Motor vehicles are not the sole cause of death and injury to pedestrians
however. Data shows that pedestrians are susceptible to death and injuries
from crashes with bicycles and motorcycles too.
While data shows that pedestrian knock down accidents are usually the fault
of drivers, a pedestrian may be determined to have some fault for the
accident. As a pedestrian, be sure to follow the “Rules of the Road”
– cross in crosswalks, abide pedestrian traffic control devices,
and avoid using cell phones or other electronic devices when walking.
If you are hit by a car, truck, bus, bicycle or any other motorized vehicle,
and are not disabled, it is important to do the following immediately:
- Remain at the scene of the accident;
- Call the police, and request an ambulance;
- Get contact information from witnesses, or ask someone to do so;
- Inform your insurance company;
- Get appropriate medical treatment and track the details;
- Take photos of your injuries immediately after, as well as, during your recovery.
When we are retained on serious pedestrian knock-down accidents, we immediately
act to preserve all evidence available from the accident location, the
vehicles and potential witnesses. We also employ experts in the fields
of accident reconstruction, human factors, and in the applicable medical
specialties, depending on the injuries.
Wrongful Death ●
Catastrophic Injuries ●
Bicycle Accidents ●
Burn Injuries ●
Assault and Homicide Victims
Construction Accidents ●
Car Accidents ●
Truck Accidents ●
Premises Liability ●
Intentional Torts ●
Spinal Cord Injuries ●
Traumatic Brain Injuries ●
Motorcycle Accidents ●
Fatal Accidents ●